Turnip DahlA cozy curry for winter days 🥘
Hella Vegan Eats
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp curry leaves
2 roma tomatoes
2 kohlrabi or turnips
1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp garam masala
1⁄2 tsp ground coriander
1⁄8 - 1⁄4 tsp cayenne
1⁄8 tsp turmeric
1⁄2 tsp salt
3⁄4 cup red lentils (160 g)
1 3⁄4 cups water (450 ml)
3⁄4 cup full-fat coconut milk (175 ml)
fresh lemon juice and rice for serving
- Mince the garlic. Peel and dice the turnips. Wash the tomatoes and dice them as well.
- Add 3-4 tbsp water to a pot, add the garlic and curry leaves and sauté for 2 min.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 min. Then, transfer the diced turnips to the pot, stir and cook covered for 2-3 min.
- In the meantime, rinse and drain the lentils. Add the lentils, spices, water and coocnut milk to the pot and bring to a boil. Then, simmer slightly-covered on low for 17-20 min.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and brown or basmati rice. Store leftovers in the fridge. As the dhal may thicken in the fridge, add a bit of water when reheating it on the stove.