Root Vegetable Tarte TatinThe prettiest way to use carrots and parsnips! 🥕
Beyond Sweet and Savory
2 medium sweet potato, peeled, sliced into ½” rounds
2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced into ½” rounds
1 medium parsnip, peeled, sliced into ½” rounds
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons thyme leaves and extra for serving
½ teaspoon nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup water
450g frozen puff pastry, thawed
60g Gruyere, thinly sliced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Peel and slice the root vegetables into half inch rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss sweet potato, carrots, parsnip and thyme leaves with oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper, and arrange vegetables in a single layer. Roast until golden around the edges and tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, unfold puff pastry sheet and cut into a 10-inch round.
- Prick dough all over with a fork. Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes until ready to use.
- To make the caramel, add sugar and water in a 10 inch oven safe saucepan and cook over medium heat, swirling pan gently (do not stir) until sugar melts and becomes amber-colored, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips snugly in a single layer on top of caramel, using smaller carrot and parsnip pieces to fill in any holes.
- Place sliced Gruyere cheese over vegetables.
- Top with puff pastry round, tucking edges into pan. Brush egg wash over puff pastry.
- Decrease oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place saucepan on middle rack in the oven and bake until the puff pastry is crispy and golden-brown, about 40 minutes.
- Remove tarte tatin from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes
- Run a knife around the pastry to loosen it from the pan. Place a kitchen towel below where you want to flip the tarte tatin. Invert a large plate over the top of the skillet and, using oven mitts, carefully and quickly flip the tarte tatin onto the plate.
- Rearrange any vegetables that may have fallen out of place. Garnish with the thyme sprigs, additional salt and pepper if desired. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.